Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Seven Years


It's been seven years since Hurricane Katrina. Every year, around this time, I start to feel anxious. Some part of me seems to be reliving the entire catastrophe: the lack of sleep, confusion, anxiety, and depression, among other things. I feel as though there's something I ought to be doing or someone that I need to call. I guess these are the lingering effects of a life-changing event.

New Orleans: "proud to crawl home." The city has a way of seeping into you. It can be ugly, it can be beautiful, but it never ceases to be fascinating. The city becomes a part of you, a quiet hum that wraps itself around your heart and keeps time with each step.

I love my hometown and I can't stop thinking about it today, especially since Isaac decided to show up. Hurricanes and all, I'd rather be there than here.

No comments:

Post a Comment