Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Cooking: Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies


Bacon chocolate chip cookies. Sounds weird, right? It's something I've been hearing more and more about, these days. I think it's something to do with the "sweet and savory" craze in the baking world; I've also heard about adding bacon to muffins and even to chocolate bars, but I digress. I'd been hearing so much about bacon chocolate chip cookies that I just had to try making them myself. Using Google, I located a random recipe and decided to give it a shot. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I thought that the bacon flavor might be a bit overwhelming, but it actually balances quite well with the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the cookies. To be honest, the cookies tasted even better the next day; maybe the flavors balanced themselves a bit as they settled.

Want to try it? Here's the recipe that I used.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/3 cup chopped cooked bacon
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or spray them with non-stick cooking spray). Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

2. In another bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add one egg and beat until blended into the butter mixture. Add the remaining egg, the vanilla extract, and the maple extract; beat until blended and slightly fluffy. Stir in the flour mixture a little at a time, mixing just until combined. Stir in the bacon and chocolate chips. Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.

...So, if you tried it, what do you think? Better than you expected? Worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment