Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Diversity of Brown


So, I found out on Monday that UPS plans to halt its donations to the Boy Scouts of America. The reason? They don't agree with the BSA's "anti-gay" policy. Apparently, a petition had a lot to do with Intel and UPS pulling their donations from the BSA. Still, it's a nice gesture. I can say that UPS is a very diverse company and that their corporate culture is very accepting, based on my own experiences.

I'm sure that people are going to have a fit over this, but just remember- you can't force people to agree with you. If these companies aren't supportive of your beliefs, then they are under no obligation to donate money to your organization.

I really wish that the BSA wouldn't exclude people based on their sexual preference. Really, it has nothing to do with being a "good person" or a "good role model." I find it ironic that so many people defended the BSA, stating that they were just trying to protect young boys from perverts. No offense, but y'all are doing a great job without recruiting "perverted" homosexuals.

Maybe someday the BSA will wake up and allow everyone to participate in their organization, regardless of their sexual orientation.

***Edit: After reading this post again, I realized that I wasn't very clear in my explanation. To be fair, UPS isn't specifically pulling their donations from the BSA. Rather, they have committed to only donating to organizations that share their core values, such as diversity. Since the BSA is homophobic, they will not be eligible to receive donations from UPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment